Jacques Stern (born 21-8-49 in Paris)
- Student at the Ecole normale supérieure, 1968-1972
- Passed the national Agrégation de mathématiques
with first rank, 1971.
- PhD 1975.
- Officier de la Legion d'honneur
- Awarded the Prix Lazare Carnot 2003 by the French Academy of Sciences
- Awarded the CNRS Silver Medal 2005
- Fellow of the International Association for Cryptologic Research 2005
- Awarded the CNRS Gold Medal 2006
- Recipient of the RSA Award for excellence in the Field of Mathematics 2007
- Awarded the Prix Science et Défense 2008
- Teaching Assistant, Université Paris 7, 1972-1974.
- Lecturer, Université Paris 7, 1974-1978.
- Professor, Université de Caen, 1979-1986.
- Professor, Université Paris 7, 1986-1991.
- Professor, Ecole Normale Supérieure, since 1992
(on leave between September 2007 and January 2010, and since January 2012).
- Head of Computer Science Laboratory, 1996-2007.
- Chairman of the Board, Ingenico SA, 2007-2010.
- Chairman of the Board, ANR (Agence Nationale de la Recherche),
- Senior Advisor to the French Minister for Research and Universities, 2010-2011.
- Commissioner, ARCEP (National Regulatory Authority in charge of Post and Electronic Communications), since 2012.
Current research interests
- Complexity theory (Interactive proofs and NP-complete problems.)
- Public key encryption.
- Conventional block ciphers.
- Cryptographic protocols.
- Coding theory and error-correction.
- Signatures, authentication and access control.
- Smart cards applications.